The Gandhi-King Community

For Global Peace with Social Justice in a Sustainable Environment

Here is an article that I found online about other noted persons who were/are influenced by the teachings of Gandhi. Enjoy!

Famous personalities influenced by Gandhi
From Hindustan Times
September 09, 2009

Leaders of the civil rights movement in the United States, Martin Luther King and James Lawson, drew from the writings of Gandhi in the development of their own theories about non-violence.

Anti-apartheid activist and former President of South Africa, Nelson Mandela, was inspired by Gandhi.

Albert Einstein once called Gandhi "a role model for the generations to come" in a letter writing about him.

British musician John Lennon referred to Gandhi as an influence on his music.

Former US Vice-President and environmentalist Al Gore also acknowledges Gandhi's influence on him.

Prior to his becoming the President of the United States, then-Senator Barack Obama noted that: "Throughout my life, I have always looked to Mahatma Gandhi as an inspiration, because he embodies the kind of transformational change that can be made when ordinary people come together to do extraordinary things. That is why his portrait hangs in my Senate office: to remind me that real results will come not just from Washington – they will come from the people."

Amongst other world leaders who found inspiration and hope in Gandhi and his works include Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan, Burmese leader Aung San Suu Kyi and Philippine leader Benigno Aquino, Jr.

Views: 15836

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good information

RSS

Notes

How to Learn Nonviolent Resistance As King Did

Created by Shara Lili Esbenshade Feb 14, 2012 at 11:48am. Last updated by Shara Lili Esbenshade Feb 14, 2012.

Two Types of Demands?

Created by Shara Lili Esbenshade Jan 9, 2012 at 10:16pm. Last updated by Shara Lili Esbenshade Jan 11, 2012.

Why gender matters for building peace

Created by Shara Lili Esbenshade Dec 5, 2011 at 6:51am. Last updated by Shara Lili Esbenshade Jan 9, 2012.

Gene Sharp & the History of Nonviolent Action

Created by Shara Lili Esbenshade Oct 10, 2011 at 5:30pm. Last updated by Shara Lili Esbenshade Dec 31, 2011.

Videos

• Add Videos

The GandhiTopia & the Gandhi-King Community are Partners

© 2024   Created by Clayborne Carson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service