The Gandhi-King Community

For Global Peace with Social Justice in a Sustainable Environment

MLK article, "My Trip to the Land of Gandhi," Ebony July 1959

In this account of his India tour published in Ebony magazine, King notes that
Gandhi’s spirit is still alive though “some of his disciples have misgivings about this
when . . . they look around and find nobody today who comes near the stature of the
Mahatma.”’ Lamenting India’s pervasive economic inequalities, King observes that
“the bourgeoise--white, black or brown--behaves about the same the world over and
he calls upon the West to aid India’s development “in a spirit of international brotherhood, not national selfishness."
-From The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr. Vol. 5

Views: 1846

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

An excellent read I imagine. I'll set time aside to get into this.

Thank you, Andrew.
This is wonderful, where did you come across this?
Dr. King's oldest son, Martin III, recently returned to India to follow in his father's footsteps as he and Mrs. King visited Gandhi's homeland. His accounts of the trip are very historic and momentous. You should look it up in news articles online.
Greetings from Atlanta: City of Peace. Hello Andrew. I see from your profile that you're 23. You are a WISE man to be involved with Gandhi & King at such a young age. I commend you! I recall a quote by Gandhi: "If we are to achieve real peace on Earth, we must begin with the children." Andrew, please add me as a Friend. The future belongs to you and the younger generation. Peace from John.

RSS

Notes

How to Learn Nonviolent Resistance As King Did

Created by Shara Lili Esbenshade Feb 14, 2012 at 11:48am. Last updated by Shara Lili Esbenshade Feb 14, 2012.

Two Types of Demands?

Created by Shara Lili Esbenshade Jan 9, 2012 at 10:16pm. Last updated by Shara Lili Esbenshade Jan 11, 2012.

Why gender matters for building peace

Created by Shara Lili Esbenshade Dec 5, 2011 at 6:51am. Last updated by Shara Lili Esbenshade Jan 9, 2012.

Gene Sharp & the History of Nonviolent Action

Created by Shara Lili Esbenshade Oct 10, 2011 at 5:30pm. Last updated by Shara Lili Esbenshade Dec 31, 2011.

Videos

• Add Videos

The GandhiTopia & the Gandhi-King Community are Partners

© 2024   Created by Clayborne Carson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service